Search This Blog

Saturday 25 September 2021

Communication

We assume that because we can think & speak we have the tools to communicate effectively. Communication skills & understanding are really important in all aspects of our lives. We are lucky that we have communication tools which were not available for the majority of our lives. I must have been in my 20's before my parents even had a landline!

Managing my renovation & extension has made very clear that there is huge variation in how effective communication is. Yesterday was a case in point. Planning consents were expected in late August, early September. It was delayed to Wednesday 22nd this week, because of staffing issues. It didn't come. It is holding up a lot of the work. We can't risk starting before we have it, even if it is permitted development. 

I spent all day yesterday trying to communicate with the city planning department by phone & email. My builder wasn't sure what he can do & thinks he has done everything he can stripping out & first fixing in the actual house. I spoke to 3 different people, all of whom tried to be helpful, but none of whom actually knew anything about the application. The officer who dealt with it is on leave & no one else was appointed to cover this work. I find that amazing & frankly unprofessional. So we are in limbo until the officer returns & gets round to issuing my paperwork.

I have had a team of 4 professional people working on my project plus the 3 people actually doing most of the hard work. That meant that there needed to be effective lines of communication between them & me. It hasn't always worked & I have often felt I was fire fighting & acting as a relay. Sometimes I have been concerned that I don't have the skill set to really understand processes & technicalities. I have to rely on the people I have employed. They are all busy people & have other projects as well as mine. It can be a bit of a quagmire.

I also need to try to keep open good communication with suppliers, which is a real nightmare. There are huge supply & lead time problems. They are all struggling to cope with their supplers - it's a chain which is broken currently, due to Brexit & Covid.

Then there is the importance of keeping neighbours informed & on side, despite not living in the house. I'm not having to live with the noise, dust, traffic & disruption, but I do realise what an impact it must have. I'm a big believer in face to face communication. You can pick up body language & expressions & hopefully respond appropriately. Emails are quick & provide a paper trail, but can be misinterpreted. The receiver doesn't necessarily read what we intend when we write.

21 Famous and Funny Communication Quotes. Share Away!

It's all hard work & exhausting. But I can go home to my rental, read a book, watch TV & unwind. I have a supportive daughter & family & I have lots of friends who are also interested & supportive. They all know what a huge task this is. They sympathise & encourage when things are not going well.

So, all in all, I am lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment