Search This Blog

Thursday 7 June 2018

NHS - Free at the Point of Need?

The NHS was launched by the then minister of health, Aneurin Bevan, on July 5 1948. It was based on 3 core principles:
  • that it met the needs of everyone
  • that it be free at the point of delivery
  • that it be based on clinical need, not ability to pay 
In 2015 I needed to see a Rheumatologist because of the chronic pain I had 24/7. It wasn't adequately controlled by medication & alternative therapies were a constant drain on my finances. I discovered that I had to wait for months for an NHS appointment - It was too long. A friend who worked for the Royal Berks hospital told me about a very good Rheumatologist who worked privately in Reading. Pain won against ethical beliefs & I made an appointment - for the next week!

I had the consultation, tests were arranged at the Royal Berks, which were done on the NHS, so I didn't have to pay. I got a diagnosis & recommendation for treatment. All I paid for were the really thorough consultations, which were worth every penny.

But I jumped the queue because I could afford to pay. That really doesn't sit well with me.

Now I need to see an Orthopaedic Consultant because of possible Rotator Cuff damage / trapped nerve in my left arm. I was referred by my GP, but heard nothing. After nearly 3 weeks I chased it up with the surgery. The referral had gone through straight after the consultation. I contacted the hospital department. Nothing will happen for 15 weeks. After that I will get an appointment, which I will presumably have to wait some weeks for. I can't go on a cancellation list until I have an appointment. I'm sure the hospital is ensuring that it complies with waiting time protocols.

My point is that, on the 70th birthday of the NHS, neither of my experiences actually comply with it's core principles.

Neither met my needs - in fact in both cases I have been left to suffer pain & cope with disability, despite being 73 & living alone.

Neither are based on clinical need - unless the NHS now operates on a hidden protocol that patients pain & disability is acceptable.

Don't misunderstand me, I am as sure as I can be that medics, both nurses & doctors, don't want to be in the position of delivering this broken NHS. So this isn't a rant about them. They are in the unenviable position of trying to make an underfunded, under resourced & under staffed NHS work as well as humanly possible.

My GP will try to find a hospital, within travelling distance, with a shorter waiting list. If he can't I will have to go privately. Again.

I can pay. Most people can't, so they have to put up with it. It is invidious.

Wealth determines Health.
Last year's health report (left) hasn't seen much improvement with targets again being missed

No comments:

Post a Comment