Search This Blog

Thursday 29 June 2017

In Praise of the NHS, (Maybe) - Computerised Records?

I had a pre - op assessment yesterday. Surgery due on Monday 3rd - removal of ovarian "cysts".

Got there early - seen immediately. 2 whole hours with a senior nurse & a student. Masses of paperwork, a very full medical history + Bloods & an ECG. The nurse was brilliant - she really knew her job.

It was the amount of paperwork that amazed me. I have had several operations over the years, sterilisation, laparoscopic knee surgery, removal of a big non malignant lump on my shoulder, removal of a cyst on my foot, a pacemaker, removal of my gall bladder & stones. No one has ever been so thorough. I am seriously impressed with the nurse & the NHS.

Hopefully I won't be bumped on Monday. I will be in hospital for 1 - 2 nights, (because I live alone & am 72 with a heart condition). It will take up to 2 months to completely recover. I will be glad to get it over.

My point in blogging about this is that things have changed - Good. I just wonder why all of this was on pieces of paper?

I am a "thick file " "heart sink" patient. I have several chronic conditions - I won't get better - I just have to manage my conditions with the help of the professionals & medication.

It just seems strange that NHS patient records aren't fully computerised & therefore accessible to all medics wherever a patient might need to consult a doctor or nurse. (This nurse wanted a complete medical history, with dates, & I couldn't remember. I have written my own, but didn't know they would need it, so didn't have it with me).

There must be duplication of information. I imagine it's a big, time consuming job - but it will have to be done sooner or later. So why not now? Could it be that there isn't enough money??? If so it's a short term saving which will eventually turn into a costly error. The doctors on "Holby" have tablets - I haven't yet seen any in hospitals I've been a patient in. The Government & the NHS needs to bite the bullet. Computerisation has been here for a long time now. Our medics deserve a modern system.

PS
I've just been bumped to Friday7th!!!!!  No Anaethetist!

When I was a Headteacher we had to get supply teachers in if a member of staff was unavailable. We didn't just tell a class that they had to go home or not come in. I simply don't understand why the NHS doesn't re-jig rotas or have a similar system. Is it reasonable to just "bump" patients & leave them to cope with the fall out? Although this could be cancer, the chances are it isn't fortunately. That isn't the point - is this yet another money issue?

Really disappointing & I fly out to Malawi on the 24th August to work with the MicroLoan Foundation, so it's a worry.


No comments:

Post a Comment