Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 February 2017

Brain Drain

My Brain / Central Processing Unit seems to be developing faults.

It does seem to process information reasonably effectively, but retrieval seems to be becoming a bit erratic. My CPU adds, compares, stores & moves data gathered by my senses. It manages the data allows me to access it when I need to - In theory. In reality data goes in, but sometimes just won't necessarily come out again when I need it. There is a time lag.

I try to trick it back into function, for example by re-tracing my steps when I have set out to do something then forgotten what that was. Although I remember faces, (good visual memory), I often can't remember the names that go with them. So I have a visual link to the name - Eileen Atkins for example is an eye & a hat. Bridget is a bridge.

This is, of course, a common problem. Not just for people of my age.

A universal myth is that we only use 10% of our brain. However human beings use virtually every part of their brains. During an average day, humans use nearly 100% of their brains. I think mine is getting tired. After all it has been continuously functioning, without maintenance, for 72 years. Possibly my CPU is overloaded with information. There must be an awful lot in there after all this time. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a delete mechanism other than the stuff I forget. If I could select what is deleted it might make more room for the stuff I actually want to access.

My CPU has various types of storage for all this data - long & short term memory for example. I think my issue is with the Random Access Memory. My CPU can't cope with the randomness of my RAM. There should be some mechanism for me to tell it in advance what I'm going to need to retrieve.

Sadly my CPU knows an awful lot - It just doesn't always share it with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment