Search This Blog

Thursday 10 July 2014

Euphemisms for Dying

Yesterday would have been my 48th wedding anniversary, but it was also the 5th anniversary of my husbands death. I didn't "lose" him, because that would imply I might find him again & that doesn't seem very likely. He didn't "pass" either, because I might catch up with him if he did & that's just not going to happen. It made me think how hard we try to avoid saying the word died.

The following are a selection of euphemisms for dying - fell off his perch, popped his clogs, met his demise, kaarked it, shuffled off this mortal coil, ceased to exist, decorporealised, went to meet his maker, joined the heavenly choir, was deep sixed, croaked, kicked the bucket, bought the farm, is playing a harp, the long sleep, is pushing up daisies / feeding worms, went to meet St Peter, passed away, passed on, passed expiry date, sent to the glue factory, bought it, caught it, got it in the neck, sent to hell, went to heaven, met the reaper, making a bad smell, flying a cloud, making the grass grow, fertiliser.

All very inventive & all show how we don't want to face up to the fact that we are all dying. Right now. It's just a question of when & how.

I've got used to the single life in 5 years. There are aspects of it I really like.  My house will eventually be my home - No one else's. It will reflect me in a way that has never happened before. I don't have to compromise with anyone else. I can do what I like when I like & could be completely selfish in theory. (Not in actuality though).

I marked the day in my mind, but I have got past the dreadful early stages of grief. Some good friends remembered too & that is lovely. David lives on in memories. The house was full of workmen doing various jobs & it was very funny at times. My kitchen is actually finished!!!!! The joinery in the ground floor will hopefully be finished this week.

So there is life after death. Just not the religious sort.
"The parrot E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!That parrot is definitely deceased.It's bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk - Monty Python




No comments:

Post a Comment