Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Digital Life & Death

I use my computers a lot. It is possible I am addicted. I certainly cannot envisage a life without a computer. I think it is a wonderful tool which widens my knowledge, keeps me in touch with people and events, saves me time (shopping & banking), & facilitates my life.

Google is my home page & all round helpful friend. I email, search for information, Blog & have a Facebook page. I occasionally watch TV I've missed & copy favourite CD's for use in the car. I don't - ever - play games. I've got much better things to do with my time & haven't yet got to the point in my life where I need to fill time uselessly. I can Skype, but hardly ever do because I prefer the phone or email. I also don't much like the idea of people being able to see me whatever state of undress or awareness I'm in. I find the time disconnect irritating too.

I'd previously never thought about what happens to my internet life when I die, but heard an interesting programme on the radio about the legal issues that raises. Our internet life continues after death, almost like a soul. It's a permanent record & remains long after we have gone, unless we or someone else unsubscribes us & wipes every trace. It's even arguable who this internet life belongs to. Do relatives have the right to access everything on your computer? One can imagine scenarios where the friends or relatives access things that they were never meant to see or know. Some things are better left hidden.

On the other hand one might consciously want to leave something of oneself behind. The urge to leave a legacy or record of a life lived. I think that's part of the reason why I Blog. In the future Primary sources for historical fact will probably be available in a way never anticipated before. The voice of "ordinary" people will be heard, rather than that of "historians" with their own particular bias.

It's possible to be for or against a digital life. For every benefit, there is probably a downside. Technical wizardry grows exponentially in every corner of our existence. I doubt we will ever be able to turn back the clock now - unless the lights really do go out. Then we will have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment