Search This Blog

Thursday 13 January 2022

Renting a House

On Wednesday I had been renting for 8 months, while the house I have bought was being completely renovated & an extension built. I gave my notice to move in 2 months time. So come what may, early March will see me in my own home. It's a big leap of faith.

So far I am possibly on my 4th projected moving date. I doubt the house will be finished, but it should be livable in. At least I will have all my stuff out of storage & I will be back in Summertown with everything that makes it convenient.

I am not looking forward to moving house again. It's exhausting & a huge amount of work. But the removers are booked. 

Planning, research & buying everything from the flooring up to make the house habitable has been a full time job. But I haven't had to do any physical work. I have a really good team of 5, (R, H, R, J & C + a plasterer & V who did the ground works), who all work very hard, sometimes in dreadful conditions & always seem to actually enjoy what they do. I certainly have no complaints about the quality of the work & I'm really looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.

It has been a steep learning curve because of the unique circumstances caused by Brexit & Covid in the building trade. Very little has gone smoothly. I have had to be far more flexible than I anticipated & find solutions to problems I couldn't forsee. I have always thought it was worth doing though & have been confident in the vision. I do have new sash windows in the 1930's house & a new side door now.


I've absolutely no idea whether it will prove to be cost effective to have done all the work. The property market is volatile & unpredictable. But I hope that won't be my problem. This is my long term home, not an investment. I don't anticipate moving again voluntarily.

I have actually enjoyed a big project, even if it was a particularly risky thing to do at this time. It has to be better than sitting at home vegitating. It has kept me active & engaged. What will I do when it ends? The garden will keep me going for a couple of years.

It's a new beginning & at 77 that is a good thing.    

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Val, and as you kindly remind me, we are all coming up to 77. Our generation seems more youthful than previous ones- not sure why - maybe it was all the school milk we had as children, plus educational advantages:-)

    ReplyDelete