Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 October 2021

Land Ownership

In theory I own a house & the land it stands on. I've been an unmortgaged home owner for decades. That same plot of land will have been owned by a succession of people way back. If you go back far enough I imagine it was countryside. After I've gone it will belong to someone else.

I don't feel I actually own it. I'm just the temporary guardian of the land & the house that sits on it. I should maintain it in the best possible state.

I watched a really good documentary about the climate emergency showing communities in the Southern Hemisphere who had actually had their islands swallowed up by rising sea levels. They had thought their homes were permanent. They discovered that they are not, because of our lack of stewardship of the planet we live on.

People all over the world are losing their homes for all sorts of reasons. Some are climate related, some are because of man's misconceived belief that we own the countries we live in. That belief starts wars. Population migrations have already reached pandemic proportions. Countries are becoming protectionist. They fail to see that every human being has the right to a home, safety, food & the necessities of life.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

People will flee from flood, fire, rising seas, war, famine, poverty & all the terrors which beset the world today. We have to recognise that we cannot be protectionist. We cannot sit in our homes in a relatively secure country & pull up the drawbridge to keep refugees out. It matters little whether they are fleeing persecution, devastation or poverty. They have the same rights that we do. 

The simple fact is that all human beings everywhere have the right to expect other human beings to help them in any way they can. I'm not a Christian, but the "Good Samaritan" story epitomises all religious & moral belief.

I recognise that this will play havoc with our own little lives. It will devastate the world economy & big business. But if we don't truly understand this there will not just be civil unrest. The world will suffer a huge upheaval. Again I'm not a Christian. But maybe that's what Armageddon was warning us about.

We have heard he message. We have to come together to find solutions.


No comments:

Post a Comment