Search This Blog

Saturday 12 September 2020

Uncertainty, Transition & Change


My life is in a period of uncertainty. I am one of those annoying people who want to change things & reform them if they are not right. But in my own life I do like routine, control & peace.
 
My first uncertainty is with a couple of maintenance issues in my house involving doors. I've been trying to resolve them for 6 weeks with the company who made & installed them. They should be reasonably easy to resolve if I could only get the company to do their job. The company boss will not speak to me when I phone - either that or he is never, ever, in his ofice. He certainly never returned my 6 calls. Nor has he responded, apart from once, to my 13 emails. It's really frustrating & inexplicable. It isn't as if I'm not expecting to pay for the service. 
 
My second problem is that my house has sold. Good news you may think. But the house market is in a strange state & has been for years because of the ongoing financial recession, followed by Brexit, (also ongoing), & then Covid, (about to get worse again?) People are worried about all three. Many have no certainty about their financial status because jobs are not secure. Who needs moving house in these circumstances? So there have been very few houses I would think of buying in the area I want to be.

The house I do want to buy could be perfect for me. However it needs a huge amount of work. Far more than I envisaged from the photos on line, which were completely out of date & bore no resemblance to actuality! Is that even legal? To complicate matters further the house has tenants & the law has changed considerably in favour of tenants. As a result, in 2019, three times more landlords were planning to sell than to expand their portfolio.
https://www.ftadviser.com/investments/2020/06/11/buy-to-let-after-the-pandemic/
The tenants can, (& in my case do), refuse access to landlords for viewings, surveyors, builders etc. Currently I can't get a builder in to estimate how much the work needed is likely to cost, which makes deciding what to offer difficult. 
 
Then from the 29th August Robert Jenryk extended the notice period for tenants to 6 months because of Covid. What I didn't realise is that tenants can refuse to leave even at the end of the notice period. Landlords have to take them to court to get them out, at great expense. Actually getting a court date can take years because of the huge backlog of cases.
 
So I am in a state of complete uncertainty & transition. Having made the decision that the time had come for a major change in my life, nothing seems to be within my control.
 https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/life-changes-quotes-discomforts-1543619239.jpg
I know the above quote is true - but it is b..... annoying in the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment