Search This Blog

Thursday 6 September 2018

The Generation Gap

I listened to a really interesting series on Radio 4 by Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks this week - "Morality in the 21st Century". Unfortunately I only dipped in & out, so I will have to listen to the Podcast. Episode 2 was particularly interesting as I have two 13 year old grandsons.
Episode 1: RESPONSIBILITY 9:00am (and 9:30pm) on 3rd September 2018
Episode 2: THE ‘SELFIE GENERATION’ 9:00am (and 9:30pm) on 4th September 2018
Episode 3: IS SOCIETY A MYTH? 9:00am (and 9:30pm) on 5th September 2018
Episode 4: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE 9:00am (and 9:30pm) on 6th September 2018
Episode 5: MORAL HEROES 9:00am (and 9:30pm) on 7th September 2018
It covered "Generation K" - https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/business-news/generation-k-katniss-noreena-hertz-13387972 
"The Selfie Generation" - https://bigthink.com/21st-century-spirituality/how-our-obsession-with-self-esteem-created-the-selfie-generation
"iGen / GenZ" - https://qz.com/work/1177712/igen-the-new-young-generation-of-workers-is-almost-everything-that-millennials-are-not/  
It seems to me that the size of the generation gap is indicated by the fact that although these terms have been around for a while I have never heard of any of them. I have just been one of those old people who bemoan the fact that smart phones, tablets & laptops seem to be ubiquitous & everyone but me seems to be unable to switch them off or ignore them for a moment. I certainly see them as a health hazard in so many ways, not least that I have to try to avoid bumping into people looking at a screen whilst walking, cycling or even driving.
I still read books, watch TV, talk to people on a landline, send emails via a desktop. I wouldn't dream of checking my phone in a cafe or restaurant. I don't believe that anything in my life is that urgent that I have to stop talking to someone. I look out of the window or at the people on a bus or train, not at a screen. I don't feel the need to be eternally stimulated or play mindless games. I am sceptical about what I see on Facebook. 
I filter information through my brain - I think for myself - I'm active. I guess I will never be inclined to bridge the Generation Gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment