Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 September 2017

Malawi - Accommodation

I have lived in Lodges while I am here - 4 different ones so far - one in the capital Lilongwe, which is run by Marists, one in Kasungu which is privately run by a family, one in Nkhotakota right on Lake Malawi, &  finally one in Nkhata Bay, again on Lake Malawi. The first two are basically bungalows. The tourist ones are purpose built.

As an aged  "Mzunga" Volunteer I am being put in "good" accommodation, not even approaching 4 - 5* obviously. The first two are basic. The two on Lake Malawi are aimed at tourists, although both were almost empty. Just a French couple in the first one. The location is lovely.

There are things which are beyond control. The words " no pressure" & " go with the flow" have entirely different meanings in Malawi. Getting a hot shower is a daily issue. The water in Kasungu was off for over a week because of the electricity company. So once the water was used up in a tank, if you have one, there is none. Fortunately I was at Lake Malawi when that happened.

The electricity goes off for hours daily. So if you have solar you can have some light, but it isn't enough to run the pumps. So again showers are not an option. Cooking has to be done over fires.

But, and it's a big but, I am well cared for by nice people. I am fed at least twice a day. I have a clean room & ensuite facilities, a comfortable bed. I meet lots of people who are really interesting to talk to. I am much better informed about Africa in general & Malawi in particular.

The contrast between me & the vast majority of people living here simply could not be greater. If you haven't travelled for ages over dreadful dirt roads to remote villages in an old 4WD you have no idea. Seeing it on TV is not the same, this is the reality. These people literally have nothing. They can survive if they can eat something & they don't get sick. If the crops fail, which they do, they have nothing to eat & nothing to sell. Families are big, there are a lot of children to support. It is subsistence living at a really basic level & surviving is a daily round of hard work in the heat.

So, I'm not in any position to complain. I am extremely lucky. I have everything I need here. Back in the UK I am extremely privileged.  When I get back to the UK I hope I will remember that & appreciate it properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment