Search This Blog

Monday 21 February 2022

Upheaval, Disruption & Nietzsche

I'm moving again in 11 days. This will be the 14th place I have lived during my life & the 6th house I have owned. With any luck this will be my final resting place apart from the obvious one!

This move will hopefully be fairly straightforward. Most of my things are in storage & I can choose when I'm ready to have those. There isn't that much to pack in my rental & I can get settled in the new house & wait until it is completely finished inside before cluttering the house with everything. Some builders are quite likely to still be working when I move in. The house is full of mess & dust at the moment so it needs a really good clean.

Synchronising everything is tricky. Although I can get by with a microwave & a kettle upstairs, a kitchen would be really nice. 

 In the same way I can manage with the clothes rail & furniture I have in the rental, but it would be really great if the fitted wardrobes were done. The carpet upstairs can't be fitted until they are anyway.

Given the weather at the moment, heating would be good. I do have a functioning bathroom though.

The point is life doesn't always run smoothly. A certain amount of disruption, uncertainty & tribulation is inevitable. The important thing is how we deal with that, how well we are able to put it into perspective. So I'm not facing the imminent posibility of a war with a neighbouring country, or a life threatening illness or injury. I'm not a refugee or migrant searching for a safe place to call home. I have the basic necessities of life, shelter, food, reasonable health, enough money, family & friends.

I have learned what is important in life & what isn't. I do get frustrated, stressed & even annoyed. But I know that I can face almost anything now & deal with it, because there isn't much that I haven't had to cope with in 77 years. This last 10 months has been very difficult. Renovating my house has been far more of a challenge than I thought, but I think I will be quite pleased with what we have achieved with the wreck of a house that I bought. 

German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche said  “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.” I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment