Search This Blog

Sunday 28 April 2019

Future Proofing my Life

"Anticipating the future and developing methods of minimizing the effects of the shocks and stresses of future events". It's got a lot to do with sustainability.

People I know seem to be dying or incapacitated with increasing frequency, so I'm applying the concept to me. I'd like to be independently sustainable for as long as possible.

I've had some things in place for a while:- 
  1. I've got a personal alarm wristband linked to the phone, which I wear all the time in the house. (Outside too when I forget, but obviously it doesn't work there!)
  2. I keep my cordless phone next to my bed, set to press any key to call my designated number, in case no 1 doesn't work. (You can't be too careful!)
  3. I've got an adjustable bed in case I'm really incapacitated - (It's nice anyway if I'm too uncomfortable at night).
  4. I've got a wall hung washbasin & loo in my wet room ensuite, normal ones are too low. Mine are easier to use for creaky bodies. I've also got a walk in shower with nothing to climb over or into. (I might need to get a seat sometime, but not yet thank goodness).
  5. I have ordered a stairlift, although I anticipate carrying on walking up & down stairs. It is increasingly difficult to go upstairs carrying anything. I might just send whatever needs to be upstairs or downstairs  on the lift. Stairs are good exercise - Use it or lose it. (PS - After months the supplier decided my stairs weren't wide enough - So no stair lift!)
  6. I have wall mounted ovens in the kitchen - my body has lost it's bendiness. 
  7. Picking things up from the floor might become impossible. I have this vision of a house full of things I've dropped, which have to stay there till someone comes to pick them up. I've got a grabber, but they are fairly useless.
  8. I've just bought a new car with automatic transmission & parking sensors. (Boy do I need those!)
  9. I've got enough books to read to last a lifetime if I'm housebound.
  10. I'm good with the computer so can do virtually everything on line. 
  11. I moved from rural Gloucestershire to Oxford, so I live very close to really good transport links & in walking distance of my doctor & dentist - Providing I can still walk!
  12. I've also got a will & Power of Attorney sorted.
So - I think I'm future proof. Now I've done all that I'll probably just drop dead. (Like carrying an umberella guarantees it won't rain).
The cat in the hat on ageing

2 comments:

  1. The 21st century has given us the unique opportunity to use the Internet to augment and secure our ageing lives hasn’t it Val? I only wish more crumblies like us were able to utilise the skills of access to the digital world. You do it to an exceptionally high standard and I commend you for that - cyber security is pivotally important to this process - but I’m sure you’ve thought of that too! May the Force be with you on this journey ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyber security is really concerning Carrie. There are some people who are much cleverer than me out there. We all now have huge amounts of data stored about us & it's getting worse. But the computer is my lifeline.

    ReplyDelete